Illinois—it’s home to a hospital system that generates no less than $101 billion annually for the state and a healthcare system that’s responsible for one in ten jobs statewide, according to the Illinois Health and Hospital Association. It’s also where medical assistants enjoy fantastic professional opportunities and strong salaries to match.
According to the Illinois Department of Employment Security, there were approximately 23,610 medical assistants working throughout the state in 2019; by 2021, this number is projected to swell to 24,410, which represents a 3.4% increase in jobs in just a few, short years. Also impressive is the number of annual job openings in this field as a result of new job creation and normal turnover – 3,050, which means you’ll find plenty of opportunities whether you’re entering the field or rising through the ranks.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that medical assistants in Illinois earned an average hourly wage of $16.93 ($35,220) in 2019. The top earners here brought home an average hourly wage of $23.68 ($49,250) during the same time – nearly $15,000 more annually. Develop your resume by earning a handful of years of quality experience and the CMA designation and you’ll be among the top earners in Illinois.
Average Hourly Wages for Medical Assistants Illinois’ Metro Areas
As expected, the major metropolis of Chicago not only has the largest number of medical assistants in Illinois, it also comes out on top for its average wages among the top earners.
The BLS reported the following average, hourly wage range (median – top 10%) for medical assistants in Illinois’ largest metro areas:
- Bloomington: $16.65 – $29.02 (approximately 200 medical assistants)
- Champaign (greater metro includes Urbana): $16.24 – $21.47 (approximately 900 medical assistants)
- Chicago (greater metro area includes Naperville and Elgin): $17.48 – $24.07 (approximately 17,500 medical assistants)
- Peoria: $15.19 – $19.97 (approximately 1,620 medical assistants)
- Springfield: $16.29 – $19.47 (approximately 700 medical assistants)
Average Salaries for Medical Assistants in Illinois’ Metro Areas
The following BLS stats indicate what medical assistants are earning in the median – top 10% salary range in Illinois’ largest metro areas:
- Bloomington: $34,630 – $60,370
- Champaign (greater metro includes Urbana): $33,770 – $44,660
- Chicago (greater metro area includes Naperville and Elgin): $36,360 – $50,070
- Peoria: $31,600 – $41,530
- Springfield: $33,880 – $40,500
US Bureau of Labor Statistics salary figures for medical assistants represents state data not school-specific information.
2019 job growth projections from the Illinois Department of Employment Security are aggregated through the U.S. Department of Labor-Sponsored resource, Projections Central.
Conditions in your area may vary.
All salary and employment data accessed May 2020.