The anticipated addition of 3,555 medical assistants to the Illinois workforce between 2012 and 2022 calculates into a 19.36% employment growth rate. This remarkable employment outlook has driven the Chicago Sun Times to name the medical assisting profession as one of the “25 Fastest-Growing Occupations in Illinois 2008-2018.”
Current reports published by the Illinois Department of Employment show the average median salary for medical assistants in the state to be $29,520/yr. The statewide pay scale for this occupation ranges between $25,386 and $34,124 a year.
Medical assistant salaries in Illinois often vary depending on an employee’s geographic location of employment. Here are the top five paying regions for medical assistants in the state:
- Rockford Area: $27,762/yr. to $36,670/yr.
- Lake County: $27,432/yr. to $35,903/yr.
- Dekalb-Elgin-Aurora Area: $26,527/yr. to $35,452/yr.
- Cook County: $26,255/yr. to $36,062/yr.
- Du Page County: $16,124/yr. to $35,327/yr.
The current hourly wage scales for medical assistants in the top five paying regions in Illinois include:
- Rockford Area: $13.35/hr. to $17.63/hr.
- Lake County: $13.19/hr. to $17.26/hr.
- Dekalb-Elgin-Aurora Area: $12.75/hr. to $17.04/hr.
- Cook County: $12.62/hr. to $17.34/hr.
- Du Page County: $25.56/hr. to $16.98/hr.
The current monthly wage scales for medical assistants in the top five largest regions in Illinois include:
- Cook County: $2,187/mo. to $3,005/mo.
- Will County: $2,005/mo. to $2,501/mo.
- Du Page County: $2,177/mo. to $2,943/mo.
- McHenry County: $2,083/mo. to $2,953/mo.
- Kane County: $2,210/mo. to $2,953/mo.
Additional salary statistics for medical assistants in Illinois as reported by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics as of 2013 include: