Medical assistants in Michigan are a lucky bunch.
In a state where healthcare remains the largest private sector employer and the healthcare industry and its network of clinicians and support professionals in hospitals alone accounts for more than 230,000 jobs, you can bet there are opportunities in medical assisting worth talking about.
In fact, according to the Michigan Bureau of Labor Market Information and Strategic Initiatives, Michigan is projected to see about 2,770 medical assistant job openings annually through 2021.
The average hourly wage for medical assistants in Michigan was $16.12 ($33,540 annually) according to 2019 numbers by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The top 10% here brought home an average of $20.17 ($41,950 annually) during this time.
Average Hourly Wages for Medical Assistants in Michigan’s Metro Areas
The BLS reported the following average, hourly wage ranges (median – top 10%) for medical assistants in Michigan’s largest metro areas:
- Ann Arbor: $16.85 – $20.72 (approximately 1,800 medical assistants)
- Bay City: $14.09 – $18.59 (approximately 240 medical assistants)
- Detroit (greater metro area includes Warren and Dearborn): $16.33 – $20.95 (approximately 11,360 medical assistants)
- Grand Rapids: $16.77 – $20.12 (approximately 2,500 medical assistants)
- Kalamazoo (greater metro area includes Portage): $15.80 – $19.70 (approximately 1,020 medical assistants)
- Lansing (greater metro area includes East Lansing): $15.96 – $20.19 (approximately 930 medical assistants)
- Saginaw: $14.20 – $18.64 (approximately 620 medical assistants)
Average Salaries for Medical Assistants in Michigan’s Metro Areas
The following BLS stats indicate what medical assistants are earning in the median – top 10% salary range in Michigan’s largest metro areas:
- Ann Arbor: $35,060 – $43,100
- Bay City: $29,300 – $38,670
- Detroit (greater metro area includes Warren and Dearborn): $33,960 – $43,570
- Grand Rapids: $34,870 – $41,850
- Kalamazoo (greater metro area includes Portage): $32,860 – $40,980
- Lansing (greater metro area includes East Lansing): $33,200 – $42,000
- Saginaw: $29,600 – $38,770
Salary and employment data compiled by the United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics in May of 2019. Figures represent accumulated data for all employment sectors in which medical assistants work. BLS salary data represents average and median earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries.
2019 job growth projections from the Michigan Bureau of Labor Market Information and Strategic Initiatives are aggregated through the U.S. Department of Labor-Sponsored resource, Projections Central. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
All salary and employment data accessed May 2020.