Colorado takes its healthcare seriously.
A commitment to health and wellness and improved access to healthcare for all its residents have allowed this state to earn the distinction of being one of the healthiest in the nation.
This type of environment also means exciting job prospects for medical assistants. According to the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment, there were 11,710 medical assistants in Colorado in 2019; by 2021, this number is projected to increase to 12,380 – an increase of nearly 6% in just a few, short years.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, medical assistants in Colorado earned a median hourly wage of $17.75, or $36,920 annually as of May 2019. But with a few years of experience and a highly valued designation like the CMA or RMA on your resume, you can expect to be earning in the top 10% of your field, making an average of $23.45 an hour, or $48,770 annually.
Average Hourly Wages for Medical Assistants in Colorado’s Metro Areas
Denver enjoys a position as the largest employer of medical assistants in Colorado, and some of the highest paid medical assistants are also found here.
The following BLS stats reveal the median – top 10% average, hourly wage range for medical assistants working in Colorado’s largest metro areas:
- Boulder: $18.45 – $24.81 (approximately 650 medical assistants)
- Colorado Springs: $17.08 – $21.07 (approximately 1,800 medical assistants)
- Denver (greater metro area includes Aurora and Lakewood): $18.50 – $23.88 (approximately 6,330 medical assistants)
- Fort Collins: $17.38 – $23.80 (approximately 880 medical assistants)
- Greeley: $16.49 – $19.93 (approximately 480 medical assistants)
- Pueblo: $15.35 – $18.97 (approximately 550 medical assistants)
Average Salaries for Medical Assistants in Colorado’s Metro Areas
BLS stats reveal the following salary range (median – top 10%) for medical assistants working in Colorado’s largest metro areas:
- Boulder: $38,370 – $51,600
- Colorado Springs: $35,530 – $43,830
- Denver (greater metro area includes Aurora and Lakewood): $38,480 – $49,680
- Fort Collins: $36,160 – $49,510
- Greeley: $34,310 – $41,450
- Pueblo: $31,920 – $39,460
<!- mfunc search_btn -> <!- /mfunc search_btn ->
US Bureau of Labor Statistics salary figures for medical assistants represents state data not school-specific information.
2019 job growth projections from the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment are aggregated through the U.S. Department of Labor-Sponsored resource, Projections Central.
Conditions in your area may vary.
All salary and employment data accessed June 2020.