Growth in Connecticut’s healthcare system means big opportunities for the practitioners and support personnel that support it.
According to the Connecticut Department of Labor, more than 21,000 new healthcare jobs will be added to the state’s economy through 2026 – the largest increase of any state in the nation during that time.
This means that there may be no better time than now to become a medical assistant in Connecticut and begin making a positive difference in the state’s healthcare system.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports an average, hourly wage of $18.58, or $38,640 annually for medical assistants in Connecticut as of May 2019. There’s plenty of room to advance in this field, too. The top earners in this field — those with considerable experience and a well-recognized credential like the CMA or RMA — brought home an hourly wage of $25.37, or $52,760 annually, during this time.
Average Hourly Wages for Medical Assistants in Connecticut’s Metro Areas
Hartford leads Connecticut’s metro areas for its employment of medical assistants. All of the state’s metro areas reported similar average, hourly wages at the median level, but New Haven’s medical assistants in the top 10% earned some of the highest hourly wages in the state.
The following BLS stats reveal the average, hourly wage range (median – top 10%) for medical assistants in Connecticut’s largest metro areas:
- Bridgeport (greater metro area includes Stamford and Norwalk): $18.93 – $25.16 (approximately 2,010 medical assistants)
- Hartford (greater metro area includes West Hartford and East Hartford): $19.03 – $25.33 (approximately 2,660 medical assistants)
- New Haven: $18.07 – $28.23 (approximately 1,820 medical assistants)
- Norwich (greater metro area includes New London and Westerly): $18.18 – $23.95 (approximately 440 medical assistants)
- Waterbury: $18.32 – $24.42 (approximately 430 medical assistants)
Average Salaries for Medical Assistants in Connecticut’s Metro Areas
According to the BLS, medical assistants in Connecticut’s largest metro areas earned salaries that fell within this range (median – top 10%):
- Bridgeport (greater metro area includes Stamford and Norwalk): $39,360 – $52,340
- Hartford (greater metro area includes West Hartford and East Hartford): $39,570 – $52,690
- New Haven: $37,580 – $58,720
- Norwich (greater metro area includes New London and Westerly): $37,810 – $49,820
- Waterbury: $38,100 – $50,800
Salary and employment data compiled by the United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics in May of 2019. Figures represent accumulated data for all employment sectors in which medical assistants work. BLS salary data represents average and median earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries.
2019 job growth projections from the Connecticut Department of Labor are aggregated through the U.S. Department of Labor-Sponsored resource, Projections Central. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
All salary and employment data accessed June 2020.