The medical assisting profession is quickly establishing itself as a prominent career option in Iowa. The Iowa Career, Industry, & Population Report of 2012 expects health care support professionals, like medical assistants, to experience a higher-than-average employment growth rate of 24%, while the average growth for all other occupations remains at 13%.
Today, there are roughly 3,476 medical assistants employed in Iowa. On average, these workers earn an hourly wage of $14.14 and an annual salary of $29,406.
Less experienced medical assistants with entry-level positions can expect an average hourly wage of $11.16 or an average annual salary of $23,213. However, more experienced employees may receive an average hourly wage of $15.63 or an average annual salary closer to $32,510.
Regional Pay Scales for Medical Assistants in Iowa
The majority of medical assistants in Iowa are employed in metropolitan areas where high populations require more health care services. Medical assistant salaries commonly vary from one metropolitan region to another.
The regional pay scales for medical assistants in major metropolitan areas of Iowa:
- Iowa City: $16.15-$20.45/hr. or $33,600-$42,530/yr.
- Des Moines/W Des Moines: $15.66-$20.50/hr. or $32,570-$42,630/yr.
- Ames: $14.80-$18.46/hr. or $30,780-$38,390/yr.
- Omaha/Council Bluffs: $14.40-$18.08/hr. or $29,940-$37,600/yr.
Likewise, the regional pay scales for medical assistants in the nonmetropolitan areas of Iowa:
- Northeast Iowa: $14.29-$17.82/hr. or $29,720-$37,070/yr.
- Northwest Iowa: $13.97-$17.86/hr. or $29,050-$37,150/yr.
- Southeast Iowa: $13.81-$17.73/hr. or $28,720-$36,870/yr.
- Southwest Iowa: $13.00-$16.84/hr. or $27,030-$35,030/yr.
To view a more detailed outline of medical assistant salaries by location, please refer to the following table with data furnished by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2013: