In Louisiana, the healthcare industry reigns supreme, coming in as the largest employer and provider of salaries in recent years. According to the Louisiana Hospital Association, employment in the healthcare sector continues to grow at a steady clip and, in recent years, has accounted for nearly 16% of the total state employment.
For aspiring and practicing medical assistants, this translates into fantastic professional opportunities. For example, according to the Louisiana Workforce Commission, there were 8,770 medical assistant jobs in the Pelican State in 2019; by 2021, this number is projected to rise to 9,010 – a 2.7% increase in just a few, short years.
As of 2019, Louisiana’s medical assistants earned an average hourly wage of $14.20, or $29,530 annually. However, those armed with a handful of years of experience and professional certification earn upwards of $18.96, or $39,430 – nearly $10,000 more.
Average Hourly Wages for Medical Assistants in Louisiana’s Metro Areas
New Orleans and Baton Rouge land on top in terms of both the number of medical assistants and their average hourly wages.
The following BLS stats provide a glimpse into what medical assistants in the median – top 10% hourly wage range are earning in Louisiana’s largest metro areas:
- Baton Rouge: $14.98 – $18.43 (approximately 1,390 medical assistants)
- Lafayette: $14.22 – $16.82 (approximately 820 medical assistants)
- Lake Charles: $12.92 – $16.12 (approximately 330 medical assistants)
- New Orleans (greater metro area includes Metairie): $14.82 – $18.75 (approximately 2,790 medical assistants)
- Shreveport (greater metro area includes Bossier City): $13.16 – $18.56 (approximately 1,260 medical assistants)
Average Salaries for Medical Assistants in Louisiana’s Metro Areas
The BLS reported the following salary range (median – top 10%) for medical assistants in Louisiana’s largest metro areas:
- Baton Rouge: $31,150 – $41,900
- Lafayette: $29,570 – $40,070
- Lake Charles: $26,880 – $33,530
- New Orleans (greater metro area includes Metairie): $30,820 – $38,990
- Shreveport (greater metro area includes Bossier City): $27,370 – $38,610
US Bureau of Labor Statistics salary figures for medical assistants represents state data not school-specific information.
2019 job growth projections from the Louisiana Workforce Commission are aggregated through the U.S. Department of Labor-Sponsored resource, Projections Central.
Conditions in your area may vary.
All salary and employment data accessed May 2020.