It’s a great time to explore a career in medical assisting in Arkansas.
The Arkansas Department of Workforce Services named medical assistants among their fastest growing occupations, thanks to data that reveals a 5% projected growth rate between 2019 and 2021. During this time, the number of medical assistants is expected to rise from 3,860 to 4,070.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, medical assistants in Arkansas earned an average, hourly wage of $14.43, or an annual salary of $30,020 as of May 2019. It definitely benefits medical assistants to begin building their resumes right out of the gate, as the highest earners in the state – those with considerable experience, a degree or certificate/diploma in medical assisting, and a national credential like the CMA – earned, on average, $19.47 an hour, or $40,510 a year during this time.
Average Hourly Wages for Medical Assistants in Arkansas’ Metro Areas
The Little Rock metro area has the most medical assistants of any of the state’s largest metro areas, and it also comes out ahead in terms of what they earn.
The BLS reported the following average, hourly wage range (median – top 10%) for medical assistants in Arkansas’ largest metro areas:
- Fayetteville (greater metro area includes Springdale and Rogers): $14.23 – $18.68 (approximately 910 medical assistants)
- Fort Smith: $13.71 – $18.18 (approximately 210 medical assistants)
- Little Rock (greater metro area includes North Little Rock and Conway): $15.72 – $20.79 (approximately 1,430 medical assistants)
- Jonesboro: $12.98 – $17.90 (approximately 180 medical assistants)
- Pine Bluff: $12.31 – $18.94 (approximately 120 medical assistants)
Average Salaries for Medical Assistants in Arkansas’ Metro Areas
The following BLS stats indicate what medical assistants are earning in the median – top 10% salary range in Arkansas’ largest metro areas:
- Fayetteville (greater metro area includes Springdale and Rogers): $29,590 – $38,850
- Fort Smith: $28,520 – $37,820
- Little Rock (greater metro area includes North Little Rock and Conway): $32,710 – $43,230
- Jonesboro: $27,000 – $37,230
- Pine Bluff: $25,610 – $39,390
<!- mfunc search_btn -> <!- /mfunc search_btn ->
US Bureau of Labor Statistics salary figures for medical assistants represents state data not school-specific information.
2019 job growth projections from the Arkansas Department of Workforce Services are aggregated through the U.S. Department of Labor-Sponsored resource, Projections Central.
Conditions in your area may vary.
All salary and employment data accessed June 2020.