Utah has earned itself a reputation for high-quality innovative healthcare. In 2019 alone, the healthcare sector employed more than 200,000 people and was a major contributor to the state’s GDP.
The strength of Utah’s healthcare sector is reflected in projections from the Utah Department of Workforce Services, which reports a projected growth rate of 6.5% in the number of medical assistant jobs between 2019 and 2021 – one of the fastest in the nation during this time. With about 1,080 medical assistant job openings here annually, the chances are good that you won’t have any trouble getting your career started here.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, medical assistants in Utah earned an average hourly wage of $16.29, or $33,880 annually, as of 2019. But for those who’ve earned a reputation as a leader in their field through experience and by earning professional certification, the hourly wage here jumps to $20.20, or $42,010 annually.
Average Hourly Wages for Medical Assistants in Utah’s Metro Areas
Salt Lake City remains the leader for both its number of medical assistant jobs and the wages these healthcare support professionals earn.
The following BLS stats provide a glimpse into what medical assistants in the median – top 10% hourly wage range are earning in Utah’s major metro areas:
- Logan: $16.39 – $19.75 (approximately 400 medical assistants)
- Ogden (greater metro area includes Clearfield): $16.30 – $19.92 (approximately 1,860 medical assistants)
- Provo (greater metro area includes Orem): $15.08 – $19.13 (approximately 1,270 medical assistants)
- Salt Lake City: $16.82 – $21.14 (approximately 3,510 medical assistants)
- George: $16.58 – $20.26 (approximately 410 medical assistants)
Average Salaries for Medical Assistants in Utah’s Metro Areas
The BLS reported the following salary range (median – top 10%) for medical assistants in Utah’s major metro areas:
- Logan: $34,100 – $41,090
- Ogden (greater metro area includes Clearfield): $33,900 – $41,420
- Provo (greater metro area includes Orem): $31,360 – $39,800
- Salt Lake City: $34,990 – $43,970
- George: $34,480 – $42,140
Salary and employment data compiled by the United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics in May of 2019. Figures represent accumulated data for all employment sectors in which medical assistants work. BLS salary data represents average and median earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries.
2019 job growth projections from the Utah Department of Workforce Services are aggregated through the U.S. Department of Labor-Sponsored resource, Projections Central. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
All salary and employment data accessed May 2020.